Glaittli

Monday, April 19, 2010

John Bourke/Margaret Kelly

John Burke married Margaret Kelly and both were originally from Ireland. They could have come over anytime from their births in (1844 and 1842). It is rumored they met in Manchester where Margaret was a barmaid. This would make sense as first son (john/Jack) was born in Manchester 1870 according to the 1881 and 1891 census. So I would guess at them being married around 1869 or earlier in Manchester. Their next child Mary was born in Saddleworth 1874 which was then in Yorkshire and I presume they moved around to find work. The others Thomas 1878, Andrew 1876 being born in Shuttleworth, Bury, where they settled. I know Margaret Burke was Catholic. Would it help if I knew which church they attended?

I'm just wondering what I can do now as I can find no info on any of the searches I tried. I would expect them to be on the 1871 census with their first child but I can't find them. Why is it I can't find any reference to birth or marriage certificates, surely they can't have disappeared for one year after John/jack was born? it is more likely they were in the Manchester/Lancashire. area.

If any one can advise me on tracking the marriage/birth certificates, it would be a great help as I don't think I'll be able to get any further with this lot!

Thanks in advance, Chip.

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?29725-Burke-Kelly-Marriage-Manchester-and-Lancashire.

No comments:

Post a Comment