Glaittli

Sunday, May 9, 2010

JOHN GOODE

Virginia Cousins by G. Brown Goode

(Copied from the book)
The ancestry of John Good from the book is not included because of errors.
John Goode, the Immigrant
By far the larger number of Goodes in America are descendents of John
Goode, . . ., who born in England, probably either at Whitstone or Whitley,
in the north of Cornwall, 1620-1630, and removed to barbados, one of the
Caribee Islands, 1643-1650, and to Virginia prior to 1660. He settled at a
place on the colonial frontier, four miles from the present site of
Richmond,
. . . he died in 1709, the proprietor of a considerable plantation. He married
in Barbados, 1650-1660, a lady named Mackarness, who accompanied him
to Virginia, where she soon died leaving one son, Samuel;
subsequently he married Anne Bennett, who died prior to 1708. He had
thirteen children: -
32, SAMUEL GOODE, born in Barbados before 1660. 33, ROBERT, born
in Virginia. 34, JOHN.
35, KATHERINE, married Mr. Roberts before 1708. 36, ELIZABETH,
married Mr. Blackman before 1708. 37, SUSANNA. 38, ANNE. 39,
THOMAS, born after 1687. 40, JOSEPH. 41, FRANCES. 42, MARY
43, MARTHA. 44, URSULA.
The date of John Goode's arrival in Virginia is not definitely fixed, but
it was prior to 1661, at which time he was the owner of Whitby plantation.
John Goode, after his arrival in Virginia, soon settled down into the
occupation of a tobacco planter. and after the death of his Barbadian wife
married Anne Bennett, a recent arrival from Holland, who bore him twelve
children, some of whom, including his two sons, Thomas and Joseph, were
minors in 1708 when his will was drawn up, and were consequently born
after 1687.
The date of his birth is not known, but it was probably somewhere from
1610 to 1620. . . according to traditions already mentioned was advanced
in
years when he married Anne Bennett. This was probably about 1668 to
1670, at which period, according to my theory of the date of his birth, he
would have been from fifty to sixty years of age.
Samuel Goode was his son by the first marriage. He must have been several
years old when the second marriage took place, for we are told that he was
a mischievous youth who delighted to play practical jokes upon his old
father's young wife. Be this as it may, Mistress Anne Goode was estranged
from her too demonstrative stepson, and the property of her husband was
inherited chiefly by her own children.
The Will of John Goode, A. D. 1708
In the name of God, Amen! the twenty-ninth day of November, in the
year of our Lord God, seventeen-hundred-and-eight, I, John Goode of the
County and Parish of Henrico, in Virginia, Gent., being sick and weak of
body, but of sound and perfect mind and memory, thanks be to God for it,
do make, ordain, constitute and appoint this to be my last will and
testament, in manner following:-
Imprimis, I resign my soul into the hands of God who gave it, trusting
through the merits of Jesus Christ my blessed Lord and Savior to obtain
free pardon and forgiveness of all my sins; and my body to the earth, to
be decently interred, at the discretion of my Executor, hereafter named.
Item, That my debts and funeral charges be first paid.
Item, I give, bequeath and devise to my son Robert Goode, one hundred
acres of my land, lying next, and adjoining to the river, and north by the
lands of William Byrd, Esq., to him the said Robert and his heirs forever.
Item, I give, bequeath and devise to my son John Goode, one hundred
acres of my land lying next James River, and adjoining the land of my son,
Samuel Goode, to him the said John and his heirs forever.
Item, I give, bequeath, and devise to my sons Thomas Goode, and Joseph
Goode, my tract of land lying in the woods on the north side of Stoney
Creek, and at the heads of the aforementioned lands, estimated to be four
hundred acres, more or less, to be equally divided between them when they
shall come to lawful age; and my will is, that if either the said Thomas or
Joseph shall decease in their nonage; the survivor of them shall have, hold,
occupy, possess and enjoy the aforesaid tract of land, containing four
hundred acres, to him and his heirs forever, But if my two sons shall arrive
to lawful age, then my will is that Thomas enjoy two hundred acres of the
aforementioned land, to him and his heirs forever, and that Joseph enjoy
the other two hundred acres, to him the said Joseph and his heirs forever.
Item, I give and bequeath to my daughter Katherine Roberts, two
thousand pounds of tobacco.
Item, I give and bequeath to my daughter Elizabeth Blackman, two
thousand pounds of tobacco.
Item, I give and bequeath to my daughter Susanna Goode, two thousand
pounds of tobacco when she comes to age or is married.
Item, I give and bequeath to my daughter Anna Goode, two thousand
pounds of tobacco to be paid when she comes to age or are married.
Item, I give and bequeath to my son Thomas Goode, two thousand pounds of
tobacco when he comes to lawful age.
Item, I give and bequeath to my son Joseph Goode, two thousand pounds
of tobacco to be paid when he comes of lawful age.
Item, I give and bequeath to my son Robert , two negroes, by name, Jupiter
and Moll, and to his heirs forever.
Item, I give and bequeath to my son John, two negroes, by name, George
and Sabrina, and to his heirs forever.
Item, I give and bequeath to my son Thomas, two negroes, by name,
Abraham and Ned, and to his heirs forever.
Item, I give and bequeath to my son Joseph, one negro woman, by name
Rose, with her increase, and to his heirs forever.
Item, I give and bequeath to my daughter Katherine Roberts, besides the
two thousand pounds of tobacco already given, one thousand pounds of
tobacco more, to be paid four years after my decease.
Item, I give and bequeath to my son Samuel, ten shillings, and a way for
a cart and horse on the outside of the low-grounds by long swamp, during
the term of his natural life.
Item, I give to my daughter Francis, one shilling.
Item, I give to my daughter Mary, one shilling.
Item, I give to my daughter Martha, one shilling.
Item, I give to my daughter Ursula, one shilling.
All the rest of my goods and chattels I give and bequeath to my two sons
Robert and John, and do make my said two sons Robert and John whole and
sole executors of this my last will and testament, hereby revoking all
former
wills by me made and done.
In testimony whereof, I hereunto set my hand and seal, this the day and
year first written. Item, my will is, that if Thomas and Joseph should die
before they come to lawful age, their estate to be equally divided between
their own brothers.

Signed, sealed delivered and acknow-
edged as his last will and testament
THOMAS BYRD, GILES WEBB, ALL.
CLERKE, MARY FOREST.

HENRICO COUNTY, April 1st . Ano. 1709.
The aforegoing will was this day proved in open Court by the oaths
of the subscribed witnesses.

Teste.: James Cocke, Cl. Cur.

There is more in Ann Bennett's notes

No comments:

Post a Comment