Glaittli

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Alexander Younger

Alexander Younger came to Virginia, settling in York County in the 1680's from Worcester, England. His brother, Andrew, lived in Scotland, where Youngers abounded. Scottish Youngers settled the upper Chesapeake Bay area and along the Rappahannock and above Fredricksburg. One Younger sea Captain had as an apprentice the 12-year old John Paul Jones.

Alexander migrated from along the Rappahannock around Williamsburg and Yorktown into Essex County, Virginia. Sometime before 1700, he married Rebecca Mills, daughter of John and Sarah Mills of that county and settled on a farm near Rappahannock, where he was a tobacco farmer. (From "Youngers, 1680s to 1980s by Helen McMindes published in "Boone County Historian" Vol. XII No. 1 - 1989).

The key is a court document (Old Rappahannock County VA OB 2:148) dated 10 June 1699 stating that Alexander Younger is a servant of Edward Rowze said to be 18 years old. When one subtracts 18 from 1699, it gives us a birth date of 1681.

The Parish Register found in Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland gives Alexander's birth at (guess what?) 1681. There were only two boys in the family. The other one was named Andrew. The accurate birthdate and the name of his brother from his will is enough to make a believer out of me. Also his children were mostly under age when he died. He died a relatively young man at 40. (copied from a note sent me by Wilma Hillman, FOTY genealogist).


__________________________

Will of Alexander Younger:

Essex County Wills, Bonds and Inventories, Part 2, pg. 222, 1722-1730. Written 11 August 1725, Probated 18 July 1727, Virginia State Library IN THE NAME OF GOD, AMEN The eleventh day of August 1725. I, Alexander Younger of the County of Essex, being sick and weak of body yet in perfect sense and memory thanks be to God for the same I do make and constitute ordain and declare this to be my last will and testament and no other first being point out and sorry from the bottom of my heart for all my sins past most humble begging God forgiveness and remission of the same through the alone merits of my dear redeemer and only savior, Jesus Christ. I commit my soul into the hand of Almighty God, my savior and only redeemer through the merit of whose death and passion I hope to have full and perfect remission and forgiveness of all my sins. My body to be decently interred by my executors hereafter named in hopes of a happy resurrection at the last day and my soul and body to enter into perfect joy and felicity forevermore. And for the settling and disposing my temporal and such goods and chattels as it hath pleased God to bestow upon me I do order give and dispose as follows, that is to say, first all those debts and duties as I owe in right or custom to any person whatsoever shall be well and truly contented and paid within convenient time after my decease by my executors hereafter named. First I will and bequeath to the three poorest objects of pity in the parish thirty shillings in such things as may answer their wants to be paid within one year after my decease by my executors.

Secondly I will and bequeath to my son THOMAS YOUNGER that piece of land that I bought of Mr. Hill and Richard Jones, a young heifer called Fairmade and her female increase and if she happens to be barren and not a breeder then to have a young cow out of my own proper stock of chattels and if she should die then to have another young cow in her room out of my own proper stock and six pounds currency and that gun which I bought of Captain Welch.

Thirdly I will and bequeath to my son JOHN YOUNGER that piece of land which I bought of Mary Newton, two Dung cows out of my proper stock, six pound currency and his choice of my other two guns.

If either of my two sons Thomas or John die without issue then their land, money and gun to fall to the eldest female then alive only my will is that the child in whose hands any of the boy's land falls to, the other part of their estate shall be equally divided among the rest then alive. They themselves that have the land having one equal part thereof. It is my will that the two eldest then alive of the female kind if the male be all dead should inherit the land. Also my will is that after appraisement made that my estate be equally divided among my other six children to wit: JAMES YOUNGER, ELIZABETH YOUNGER, ANN YOUNGER, MARY YOUNGER, JANNETT YOUNGER, AND SUSANNAH YOUNGER, and further it is my will that if any one of them died without issue lawfully begotten of their body that their part be equally divided among the rest then alive and it is my will concerning every one of my children's parts of the estate if they die without issue lawfully begotten of their body to be still equally divided among the rest then alive and further it is my will that if my well beloved wife, Rebecca Younger, should happen to join in wedlock state after my decease it is my will that the boys should be for themselves at the age of seventeen years old and if she continues my widow then to remain till the year of twenty one and if it should please God to whom all things are subject to remove all my issue by death then it is my will that my land and personal estate be secured for my next heir in Scotland of my brother Andrew's only wife to have the liberty of the same all her days in a moderate way to live upon without control of any person whatsoever.

The executors whom I order and appoint is my well beloved wife Rebecca Younger and my son Thomas Younger to see the same truly appointed and fully performed. In witness whereof I have affixed my seal and set my hand the day and year first above written.

Signed: Alexander Younger
Witness: John Haile, Bryant Edmondson, Francis Haile (his mark)

At a court for Essex County on Tuesday the 18th of July 1727, the within last will and testament of Alexander Younger, dec'd, was proved by the oath of Rebecca Younger, his executrix and being further proved by the oath of John Haile and Bryant Edmondson, two of the witnesses thereto was admitted to record.

Signe W. Beverly, C.C.

Source for the following information is "Boone County Historian" - Vol. XII - No. I - 1989 - pages 148-156, article compiled from research done by Edward Younger, Mabel Motes, Dreat and Jay Younger, and Helen Turney McMindes:

"Alexander Younger came to Virginia, settling in York County in the 1680's from Worcester, England.
His brother Andrew lived in Scotland, where Youngers abounded. Scottish Youngers settled the upper Chespeake Bay area and along the Rappahannock and above Fredricksburg. One Younger sea Captain had as an apprentice the 12-year-old John Paul Jones.

Alexander migrated from along the Rappahannock around Williamsburg and Yorktown into Essex County, Virginia. Sometime before 1700, he married Rebecca Mills, daughter of John and Sarah Mills of that county and settled on a farm near Rappahannock, where he was a tobacco farmer.

Eight children were born to them.........Alexander made his will in 1725 and died in 1727."


http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/d/e/l/Karen-H-Deloach/GENE19-0004.html

No comments:

Post a Comment