Glaittli

Thursday, April 22, 2010

William Angella

The Angleas of Cumberland County, Virginia



The original Anglea family that came to Cumberland County, Virginia was that of William Anglea. The early records had the surname spelled Angella, Angelea and Angell. However descendants of this William spelled the surname Anglea but most of the pronounced it as if spelled “Angel”.



This original William Anglea (born: c1700) first acquired land in Hanover County, Virginia in 1726. This record was found in Early Land Grants of Virginia. It was a grant of 540 acres of land to William Angeley of Hanover County, Virginia on lands in Hanover County joining Harris Cook, Aldridge and Garland and was dated November 2, 1726. For this property he paid 55 shillings. Since most of the early records of Hanover County were destroyed by fire, no other records of this family could be found in Hanover County.



In the Deed Books of Goochland County, Virginia, there is a deed from William Mackcoy of Goochland County, Virginia to William Angela of Hanover County, Virginia dated November 21, 1743 (per D. B. No. 4, pp. 310-311). When Cumberland County Virginia was formed in 1748-49 from part of Goochland County, the Anglea property was part of the lands that became Cumberland County.



The following is a copy of the will of William Angella/Anglea written December 7, 1769 and probated January 26, 1778 and March 23, 1778.





The Will of William Angella, Cumberland County Will Book 2 p. 241

In the name of God amen I William Angella Sen'r of the county of Cumberland being in my perfect scences[sic] & memory do make this my last will and testament as followeth.

Item I give to my son William Angella one shilling sterling.

Item I give to my son Benjaman[sic] Angella one shilling sterling.

Item I give to my son Nicholas Angella one shilling sterling.

Item I lend to my son James Angella during his natural life the land and plantation whereon he now lives containing one hundred acres and after his discease[sic] I give the said land to his son William and his heirs & assigns forever.

Item I give to my son Joseph Angella the land and plantation whereon he now lives containing one hundred and forty acres to him & his heirs assigns forever.

I likewise give to my said son Joseph one negro man named Peter to him & his heirs to be delivered him after the death of my wife unto whom I lend the use of the said negro.

Item I give to my daughter Elizabeth Durham one shilling sterling.

Item I give to my daughter Mary Genings ten pounds current money to be paid in a store towards the support of her & her children.

Item I give to my daughter Agness Basham ten pounds current money to be paid in a store towards the support of her and her children.

Item I lend to my beloved wife Catherine during her natural life the land and plantation whereon I now live likewise all the residue of my estate of what nature soever; and after he death, I give the same to my son Bartlett Angella and his heirs & assigns forever. And my desire is that there may be no appraisement of my estate nor no security given and lastly I do appoint my beloved Catharine and my son Bartlett executors of this my last will and testament In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand & seal this 7th day December 1769.



Wm. Angella sen'r L. S.



Signed sealed and delivered

in the presence of Henry Macon



his

Francis X Apperson

mark



Joseph Wood



At a court held for Cumberland county 26th January 1778. This last will and testament of William Angella deceased was proved by Joseph Wood a witness thereto and ordered to be recorded and on the motion of Bartlett Angella executor therein named who made oath according to law certificate was granted him for obtaining a probat[sic] thereof in due form giving security whereupon he with William Meredith and Daniel Allen his securities entered into bond according to law and liberty is reserved to the executrix therein named to join in probat.



Test



Thompson Swann Clk.



At a court held for Cumberland county 23rd March 1778. This last will and testament of William Angella deceased was further proved by Henry Macon a witness thereto.



Test



Thompson Swann Clk.



*******************



William Angella/Anglea (1700-1778) had a son named William that recorded the following will.



The Will of William Anglea Will Book 3, page 123



In the name of God amen. I William Anglea Senior of the county of Cumberland being in my perfect senses and memory do make this my last will and testament as followeth.

Item. I give to my daughter Lucy Burton one shilling sterling.
Item. I give to my daughter Nancy Wright one shilling sterling.
Item. I give to my son Archibald E. Anglea one shilling sterling
Item. I give to my son John Anglea one shilling sterling.
Item. I give,to my son in law William Gaulden one shilling sterling.

Item. I give to my son William Colson Anglea one shilling sterling.

Item. I give to my daughter Penelope Taylor one shilling sterling.

Item. I give ,to my son Burton Anglea the land and plantation whereon I now live on bound as follows beginning at pinters on Barlet Anglea's line from thence down to Angola Creek from thence up the said creek to John Anglea's line from thence along said line to Colo. John Holcob's corner from thence along Holcomb's line to the beginning to him & his heirs forever. I likewise give to my said son Burton sixteen acers of land lying and being in Cumberland County on the south side Angola creek bound by Pleasants old line to him and his heirs forever. I likewise give to my said son Burton the track of land and what soever is thereunto belonging that now lies in dispute between me and Ransoms Executors to him and his heirs forever.

Item. I lend to my beloved wife Salley during her natural life all my estate of nature soever and after her death I give the same to my son Burton Anglea and his heirs assigns forever.

Item I give to my Daughter Polley fifty pounds to be raised and levied out of my estate my desire is that there shall be no appraisement of my estate nor no security given and lastly I do appoint my beloved wife Salley and my son Burton Anglea Executors of this my last will and testament. In witness whereof I hereunto set my hand and seal this 21st day of August 179six.

Wm. Anglea (seal)

Signed sealed and delivered in presents of

James Durham

William Durham

*******************

At a Court held for Cumberland County the 24th day of September 1798.

This last will and testament of William Anglea dec'd was exhibited in Court by Sarah Anglea and Burton Anglea the Exex. and Exer. therein named, and proved by the witnesses thereto and ordered to be recorded and on the motion of the said Exer and Exer who made oath according to law certificate is granted them for obtaining a probat thereof in due form on giving security whereupon they with Archer E. Anglea their security entered into bond according to law.

Teste



Miller Woodson C.



A Copy
Teste:
Betty R. Walton, Deputy

Clerk, Circuit Court, Cumberland County, Virginia



*******************



Two of William Anglea, Sr’s. sons, Benjamin and Nicholas move to the Wilkes County, North Carolina area in the late 1700s. There are Courthouse records in Surry, Buncombe, Burke and other counties that were later formed from these counties. Sons, Bartlett, William Jr. and Joseph Anglea lived their lives in the Cumberland County, Virginia area. James Anglea may have also lived the rest of his live in Cumberland County. There was no Will that could be found of James Anglea in Cumberland County. The last record that I could find on James Anglea in Cumberland County was in the 1810 Census of Cumberland County.



Four Anglea brothers, whom is believed, descended from William Anglea, Sr. and Catherine migrated into Sumner County, Tennessee about 1817. These families are well documented in other articles of this Anglea Family Webpage.



Descendants of William Angella/Anglea later migrated into Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Texas and other Western states.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rwanglea/ccangleas.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment