Glaittli

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Matthias Hatfield WIlls

Here's the transcription of pages 26-30 from THE DESCENDANTS OF MATTHIAS HATFIELD. This covers the family of Abraham Hatfield and wife Margaret Winans.

p. 26

"15. Abraham3 Hetfield (Hatfield) (Abraham 2, Matthias1) ws born in Elizabeth town; the date of his birth is unknown. The old documents style him as "tanner:. He inherited the homestead property of his father and was an extensive land owner as is shown by his will, dated October 16, 1742. His wife was Margaret _____.

p. 27
"In the Name of God, Amen.
"I, Abraham Hetfield of the Borough of Elizabeth, tanner, being of perfect mind and memory thanks be given unto God Almighty therefor calling to mnd the mortality of my Body and knowing that it is appointed for all ment once to die Do make and ordain this my last will and Testament. Principally and first of all I give and Recommend my Soul into the hands of God that gave it and my Body I recommend to the Earth to be buryed in a Christian like and decent manner at the discretion of my executors, hereinafter named, nothing doubting but that at the General Resurrection I shall receive the same by the mighty power of God. And as touching such world estate wherewith-it hath pleased God to bless me in this life I Give, Devise and dispose of the same in the following manner and form.
"It is my will and I do hereby order that all such just Debts that I shall owe at the time of my Decease shall be truly paid.
"I give, Devise and bequeath unto my Eldest son, Abraham Hetfield forever 20 acres of upland, being part of the land I purchased of Baker Hendrick's son and heir of John Hendricks deceased, which said 20 acres is to be taken of the land joyning John Ross, Esq. and the highway. Also I give and bequeath to my said son, Abraham Hetfield, 3 acres of salt meadow joyning Samuel Winans as by deed may appear. Also one equal part of my half of the Tan yard and one equal of all the land meadows belonging to the same and the utensils of what kind soever thereunto belonging to have and to hold unto him the said Abraham Hetfield his heirs and assigns forever. I give unto my son, John Hetfield all that tract of land or House and Lott scituate, lying and being in Elizabethtown which was of Isaac Hetfield, containing 6 acres, also the tract of salt meadow lying upon Elizabeth Town which I bought of Stephen Meeker also one half part of the Tan yard and one equal half of the land and
meadow's belonging to the same and the utensils of what kind soever thereunto belonging to have and to hold unto him the said John Hetfield his heirs and assigns forever.
"I give unto my son, David Hetfield L100 at 8 shilling the ounce to be paid unto him when he shall arrive at 21, by my eldest son, Abraham Hetfield, in consideration of the Lands and Tenements given unto my son, Abraham.
"I give and devise and bequesth unto my son, Samuel Hetfield, all that Tract scituate and being in Elizabeth Town at a place called the Calf pasture which I bought of Johannes Winans containing 15 acres.
"I give devise and bequeath unto my son, Charles Hetfield all that tract of about 16 acres scituate and being in Elizabeth Town at a place called the Blind Ridge which I bought of Cornelius Hetfield, also 3 acres of salt meadow.
"I give devise and bequeath unto my son, Jacob Hetfield, all that Tract of land scituate and being in Elizabeth Town at a place called the Blind Ridge which I purchased of Johannes Winans, also one piece of salt meadow which I purchased of Ephraim Sale lying by Woodruff's Creek.
"I give devise and bequeath unto my son, William Hetfield, all my house lot and Homestead which was given unto me by my Father's last will and Testament also the remaining part of that Tract of and which I purchased of Baker Hendricks whereof I have give my son, Abraham Hetfield, 20 acres.
"I further give devise and bequeath unto my two sons, David and Samuel Hetfield L10. To my daughter, Sarah Hetfield, L40 from my moveable Estate when she shall arrrive at 18. To my daughter Phebe Hetfield, L40 when she shall arrive at 18.
"I give devise and bequeath to my two sons, Elias and Jacob Hetfiled, all my share of a piece of salt meadow which I hold in partnership with my three brothers, Matthias Hetfield, Joseph Hetifled and Jacob Hetfield, also my share by virtue of a town Right.
"I give devise and bequeath unto my well beloved wife, Margaret Hetfield L25. I further give unto my loving wife, the profits of the Homestead given and bequeathed to my son, William, for her care and trouble of bringing him up till he shall arrive at 21 years.
"I further will and bequeath to my said loving wife, Margaret, after all just debts and Legacies are paid all the remainder of my moveable estate for to better Enable her to provide and bring up my younger chldren.
"I appoint my loving friend, William Winans and Robert Ogden executors.
Signed Abraham Hetfield (L.S.)
Witnesses:
Cornelius Hetfield
p. 28
Jacob Hetfield
Thos. Jackman
Proved 14 May 1745.

"The name of Abraham3 Hatfield's wife was Margaret, but her identity has not been determined.

"Her will dated July 4, 1745, with a codicil dated July 26, 1745, follows:
"In the Name of God, Amen. I Margrot Hetfield, widow, of the Borough of Elizabeth, being sickly and weak in body but of perfect mind and memory thanks be given unto God. Calling unto mind the mortality of my Body Do make and ordain this my last will and Testament, that is to say Principally and first of all I give and recommend my Soul unto God, who gave it and my Body I recommend to the Earth to be buried in a decent and Christian manner nothing doubting but at the Great Resurrection I shall receive the same again by the mighty power of God.
"I will and order all my just debts and funeral expenses be paid. I give and bequeath to my Daughter, Sarah Hetfield, the one equal half of all my linnen, a bed, bedstead and all furniture thereunto also all the furniture thereunto also all the furniture which now stands in the lower Room, a copper kettle, one half of all my pewter L10 in cash and a large cupboard. I give grant and bequeath unto my daughter, Phebe Hetfield, the other one half of all my linnen, all my cloakes and wearing apparel, my wearing linnen and L20 in cash, the bed, bedstead and bedding with all furniture standing in the upper room having callico curtains, two chests also in the same room, a pair of Gold buttons and two Gold rings.
"Unto my son, Elias Hetfield L20, unto my son Jacob Hetfield, L20, unto my son William Hetfield, L30 to be kept at interest until he is 21 years of age and said interest is to be applied for his schooling also a pair of Gold Buttons. To each of my sons, Abraham Hetfield, John Hetfield, David Hetfield, Samuel Hetfield, Eliase Hetfield, Jacob Hetfield andWilliam Hetfield L8 to buy mourning cloathes. To Samuel Hetfield an additional L10. All the rest of my estate is to be divided among all my sons, share and share alike.
"My beloved son, Abraham Hetfield, and Matthias Hetfield, Esq. executors.
signed Margrot Hetfield
Witnesses:
Benjamin Spinning
Abraham Woodruff
John Ross

"Codicil 26 July 1745. I, Margrot Hetfield regarding and concerning my will and Testament, I give and bequeath to my two daughters Sarah Hetfield and Phebe Hetfield all my pewter to be equally divided between them. To Phebe my largest trunk and six high backed chairs, one cow, one brass kettle being the largest one and one equal half of all my bedding not before disposed of. I give and bequeath to my daughter, Sarah, one ovil table, a tea kettle, four silver Teaspoons and one half of all my bedding not before disposed of also two Gold Rings and one cow as she shall chuse.
"I give and bequeath to my son, Jacob Hetfield L10 besides what I have given him.
Signed Margrot Hetfield
Witnesses:
William Winans
Philip Blackledge
John Ross
"proved 7 September 1745.
"4 April 1726-John Winans, carpenter, of Elizabeth, to Abraham Hatifeld, cordwainer, land in Elizabeth, beginning at a highway & leading to a landing commonly called Clark's Landing, bounded by William Winans, Junr., Samuel Winans & lands formerly belonging to Cornelius Hatfield, late of Elizabeth, deceased & now in the possession of his heir.
John Winans (Seal)
Matthias Hatfield
William Winans
Recorded 25 April 1730.

p. 29
"Children of Abrahm 3 Hetfield, by his wife, Margaret (_____): 9 (Hetfield), 7 sons and 2 daughters:
+30. i. Abraham4, b. 1718, d. 1759; m. Sept. 17, 1746, Eleanor Blackledge.
+31. ii. John4, b. 1722; d. Apr., 1777; m. Deborah Smith in 1744 (or 1745)
32. iii. Susan4, b. ___; d. ___; m. John Lyon, son of Joseph and Rebecca (Littell) Lyon.
33. iv. David4, b. ___; d. before 1802; m. Susanna Clar, dau. of Joseph Clark.
34. v. Samuel4 b. ___; d. Feb. 11, 1779; prob. unm. Named in the will of his brother, John Hetfield.
35. vi. Elias4, b. ___; d. 1789-90. Served in the Revolution (see Jerseymen in Revolution, p. 622)
+36. vii. Jacob4, b. 1730-31; d. Aug 23, 1774; m. April 1st, 1753, Mary Lyon.
37. viii. Phebe4, b. 1831; d. Jan 9, 1776, "in the 44th year of her age"; m. about Jan. 1st, 1760, Baker Hendrick, son of John and Hannah (Harriman) Hendrick, b. 1720, dl Jan 9, 1776, aged 56. They are interred in St. Johbn's Churchyard, Elizabeth, NJ, their graves marked by a massive double stone.
"Among the most active on the American side was Captain Baker Hendricks, a cousin of the noted John Smith Hatfield, on the other side. Washington had employed him at an early period as a spy, in which capacity he had been allowed to trade with the enemy on Staten Island. Governor Livingston commissioned him, September 19, 1780, to fit out two whale boats, the "Flying Squirrel" and the Charming Betsey," as privateers to prey on the enemy's vessels. He was at this time about 24 years of age.

"From the "New Jersey Gazette' of May 9, 1781:
"On Saturday, the 21st ult. a party of about seventy of the enemy came over to Elizabeth Town from Staten Island. They landed at Halstead's Point and were discovered between that place and the town by Captain Hendricks, who was patroling with about ten or twelve men and though so much inferior in number he kept up a smart fire on them which prevented them from penetrating farther into town than Doctor Winans. After collecting a few horses etc. and firing through windows in the room where Mrs. Winans was sitting, wounding a boy in the arm, they burned the house of Mr. Ephraim Marsh and went off to their boats.
"A New York paper says that the party was a detatchment of General Skinner's Corps, under his commnand accompanied, as usual, by Captain Cornelius Hatfield with some of his Refugees as guides.
"Captain McMichael of the Refugee Post as Bergen Point has been taken out of a flag (boat) by the rebels and is held in irons. We have only to regret the loss of Mr. Elias Mann, who has ever distinguished himself on all occasions' as a brave and active Loyalist. He was killed by a shot from a skulking party as the troops were reembarking, Captain Hatifeld and one private were slightly wounded.
"Children of Baker andPHebe (Hatfield) Hendricks: 7 (Hendrick), 3 sons and 4 daughters:
1. Margaret, bp Oct 23, 1759; died young.
2. Hannah, bp. May 24, 1752; d. Aug 27, 1827; m. Aug 1768, Abraham Hatfield, b. May 18, 1745; d. July 22, 1807.
3. John, bp. Feb. 24, 1754; d. July 5, 1811; m. Feb 24, 1783, Mary Woodruff, who d. Sept. 26, 1817, in the 62nd year of her age.
4. Phebe, bp. Dec. 7, 1755;m. Job Smith of Bergen, N.J.
5. Baker, bp.Sept. 29, 1757; d. Jan 29, 1789, in 33rd yr.' m. Hannah Baldwin, dau. of Elijah Baldwin. He was an ardent partiot.
6. Margaret, bp. Oct 28, 1759.
7. Abraham, bp. April, 1764.

+38. ix. William4, b. December 28, 1735;d. Sept. 6, 1797; m. May 29, 1757 (1) Anne Wright; m. (2) 1762, Sarah Kimball, b. Apr 11" 1743, d. Sept. 18" 1799.

"Authorities:
Calendar of N.J. Wills (1730-1750), pp. 233, 234.
Hatfield Mss. filed N.Y. Historical Society.
p. 30
Lyon Genealogy, p. 101.
N.J. Genealogical Magazine, Vol. X, p. 179.
St. John's Cemetery Inscriptions, #260.
Hendricks Genealogy (1923), by Charles T. Hendrick, pp. 87, 115-120.
History of Elizabeth, N.J., pp. 502-4.
Yarmouth, N.S., by George

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/HATFIELD/2007-02/1170458372

No comments:

Post a Comment