6. William ROSE, Jr. 2,36,37 (William1) was born in 1757 in Tar River, Granville County, North Carolina,38 died on 12 February 1835 in , Whitley County, Kentucky,39,40 and was buried in Cane Creek Cemetery, Whitley County, Kentucky.38
General Notes: 1) Pension application from Whitley County, KY, November 19, 1833.
2) "Directions to the graves of John Rose and his wife are provided by Chester Rose: Go east from Campton, on the Bert Comb's Mountain Pkway, exit at State Rte. 191, Hazel Green exit, turn right, or south, go exactly .4 four tenth of a mile. On the left side of the Road, about 300 feet from the road, are 2 barns. At the south west corner of the first barn are the graves." - William and Amy (Langston) Rose Family Report, Christine Rose, Rose Family Association, p. 9. - I'm not sure if "John" Rose was a typo or not, this is listed under William Rose and Elizabeth Merritt's info.
Noted events in his life were:
• He had a residence in Powell's Valley, , Tennessee. 38,39
• Anecdote: He was named as an heir in his father's will, 1 December 1768, , Granville County, North Carolina. 25 He was to receive the lower tract of land on Nap of Reeds Creek known as "Smallwoods place," and certain stock to be delivered to him at age 21.
• Military: He was commissioned an ensign, North Carolina line, Capt. Searcy, 1776, , , North Carolina. 41 Regiment Commanded By Col. Burton
• Anecdote: He appears as a tithable in his own household, 1780, , Granville County, North Carolina. 45
• Anecdote: He appears as a tithable in his own household, 1782, , Granville County, North Carolina. 45
• He purchased 177 ac on south side of Tar River from John Mize in 1784 in , Granville County, North Carolina. 105
• Anecdote: Paid taxes on 177 ac. and 1 poll, 1785, , Granville County, North Carolina. 45
• Anecdote: He paid taxes on 177 ac., 1786, , Granville County, North Carolina. 47
• He emigrated to Pendleton County, South Carolina about 1787 from , Granville County, North Carolina. 105
• Anecdote: He was named as an heir in his mother's will, 25 March 1795, , Granville County, North Carolina. 51
• He had a residence in 1817 in , Knox County, Kentucky. 38
• He filed for a pension based on his military service during the Revolution. on 19 November 1833 in Cain Creek, Whitley County, Kentucky. He stated that he volunterred in the Spring of 1780, and except for a time he was needed at home in December 1780, he served through December 1781. It was verified that he had served for 1 year and 8 mos, total.
• Will Dated: 18 January 1835, , Whitley County, Kentucky. 60
William married Elizabeth MERRITT,107,108 daughter of Ephraim MERRITT and Agnes RAGLAND, on 10 March 1774 in , Granville County, North Carolina.41 Elizabeth was born in 1758,40,41 died in 1857,38 and was buried in Ben Rose Cemetery, Whitley County, Kentucky.38
Marriage Notes: 1) "The original marriage bond indicates that 2 has been written over a 4. This explains why the record is often incorrectly read as 1772." - Eunice Brooks Freese, William Rose of Surry County, Virginia, p. 83.
2) Pension application says they were married 1774.
Noted events in her life were:
• She filed for a pension based on her husband's military service. in 1835 in , Whitley County, Kentucky.
look at this close:
5. Winnefred ROSE 2,27 (William1) was born about 1756 in , Granville County, North Carolina.27 Other names for Winnefred were Winnefred ROSE, and28 Winneyfred ROSE.23
Noted events in her life were:
• Anecdote: She was named as an heir in her father's will., 1 December 1767, , Granville County, North Carolina. 25
Winnefred married Stephen MERRITT 5,27 on 1 July 1771 in , Granville County, North Carolina.27 Stephen was born about 1750.
Noted events in their marriage were:
• Alt Marriage: Alt. Marriage, 1771, , Granville County, North Carolina. 5
The child from this marriage was:
18 M i. Ephriam MERRITT was born about 1775.
Forbush Family Info
7 years ago